I will always reply to comments and always re-reply to re-replies.

Clicking on most images will enlarge them

Thursday, July 13, 2006

HMS VICTORY


Have recently read "Men of Honour" by Adam Nicholson about the personalities involved in the Battle of Trafalgar, with asides about the continuing battle - a new slant on an often told story and a great read. This decided us that we should make an effort to visit Portsmouth and spend a day with the ancient ships and Museums, Victory especially, but also The Mary Rose (Tudor flagship) and The Warrior (First British "Ironclad").
Having just read the book, Victory was full of atmosphere and the rest made a fantastic day out. Too much to see in one day but, hey! the ticket lasts for a year and you can go back for those you missed.
If this sort of thing lights your candle give "Men of Honour" a try - I take my hat off to the absolute sang froid under fire of those men

5 comments:

herhimnbryn said...

Great post. Will add the book to the list of things to read. I believe yr blog title comes from The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam ( the Richard Le Gallienne translation) viz:-
' Lost to a world in which I crave no part,
I sit alone and listen to my heart,
Pleased with my little corner of the earth,
Glad that I came - not sorry to depart.'
Good luck with the blogging.

Pete said...

Wow, she's good.

Welcome back on board Avus

Avus said...

Who needs a dictionary of quotations when we have HHnB!

Vita said...

I, too, am going to add Men of Honor to my reading list. Thanks for the recomendation.

Unknown said...

I'll try and borrow it from Vita when she's finished : )
Thanks for the suggestion!
~ch